This morning, I woke up feeling especially awake and adventurous, which resulted in a much more exciting breakfast than usual. I wanted to eat something that was healthy yet filling and easy to make. I narrowed my choices down to eggs with some sort of toast, which never fails to be tasty and hearty enough to keep me satisfied throughout my morning classes. Since I was on an adventurous kick this morning, I decided to go with a style of egg that I had never personally cooked before but had heard was simple enough to make- the poached egg. To class up this unconventional style of egg, I chose to convert it into an open-faced breakfast sandwich for the ultimate quick, classy, and healthy breakfast (in my opinion). I was a bit short on time and didn’t have all of the ingredients that I would’ve liked to put on my sandwich, but I decided that spinach, pesto, hot sauce, and some shredded cheese would still make for a great sandwich. Below is a simple recipe for the egg sandwich I made but feel free to swap out or add on more toppings such as avocado, tomato, onion, etc. on your own sandwich. I was very satisfied with my delicious sandwich and perfectly cooked egg, which was quite gratifying as it was my first time cooking a poached egg! Enjoy!
- 1 large egg
- ½ whole wheat or multigrain English muffin
- Pesto spread/sauce
- Hot/Tabasco sauce
- Any preferred type of cheese
- Fresh spinach leaves (or arugula)
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Fill a pot with about 3 inches of water and heat it until boiling.
- Reduce heat on the water so that it’s not bubbling anymore but still very hot.
- Crack your egg into a small bowl.
- Add a few tablespoons of vinegar into the water and swirl the hot water in a circular motion with a spoon for a few seconds.
- Pour your egg into the water and carefully swirl the water around it for about 5-10 seconds so that the egg whites coat the sides of the yolk.
- Let the egg cook for about 4-5 minutes or you can pick the egg up with a slotted spoon after about 3 minutes and touch the yolk to determine how runny or solid you want it to be.
- While the egg is cooking, put your English muffin into the toaster.
- When the bread is toasted, cover it immediately with pesto, cheese, and spinach so that the cheese melts.
- When the egg is cooked to your liking, carefully dry it off on a paper towel and slide it onto your sandwich.
- Top it with more cheese, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Dig in!!