Now that retailers are realizing how one of the largest groups in terms of buying power, Gen Y, likes to shop and socialize, they are changing the ways that they market and grow their businesses in order to grab the attention of this monumental generation. Us millennials are so complex that it’s taken a long time for older generations to really figure out how to keep us interested and engaged, but I think that they’re finally starting to catch on! In general, Gen Y is attracted to convenience, social media, ecommerce, sustainability, and lastly, personalization (which is one of the reasons why we are nicknamed the “Me Generation”). Even though I don’t like this label given to my generation, I’ll admit that it IS partially true, even though we’re just as equally motivated and eco-conscious as we are self-absorbed.
Anywho, I’ve recently noticed that many retailers’ focus on social media and sustainability to draw our attention has been overshadowing another awesome tactic that some are using to draw us in: through personalization and customization! I’ve rounded up a few of my favorite companies’ approaches to catering their products to the individualistic needs of Generation Y, so take a look and have some fun choosing your own unique items like I did!
Here are a few different methods that some of my favorite companies are using:
Design your own:
1. Jewelry Designer, Jennifer Fisher, lets you build your own necklace on her awesome website!
This is the necklace that I designed for myself:
2. The Ray Ban website allows you to customize and personalize your own pair of sunglasses- SO COOL!
I love this pair that I made for myself; looks like a great pair for a summer music festival!
3. Converse lets you put together your own pair of custom sneakers- SO many options!
Here are two different pairs that I made for myself…ahh I want to buy them now!
4. Of course, Nike, is most well known for its NikeiD program, which also allows you to alter your shoe’s fit, performance, and style to meet your needs perfectly!
A pretty pair that I made for myself!
1. Rebecca Minkoff’s website allows you to purchase a monogrammed bag to make sure your Mini M.A.C. is ONLY for you!
2. JCrew has also created a monogram shop that allows you to personalize your latest JCrew merchandise including sweatshirts and tank tops!
Getting the perfect fit:
1. Levi’s has created a method on their website and in-stores called Levi’s Curve ID, which comes up with the best style, fit, and shape of jeans that will be the best for your unique body type!