I hate to admit it, but until this morning, it’d been quite a while since I’d baked anything particularly special or delicious. Luckily, the pressure from being surrounded by everything pumpkin spice over the past few weeks finally inspired me to brush up on my baking skills and make something sweet yet nutritious to keep my summer-long healthy eating regimen on track. I did a little bit of surfing on the Internet for some fall–themed dessert ideas and stumbled upon a delectable-looking yet health-conscious recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. These immediately sparked my interest since the recipe called for some of my favorite fall ingredients: chocolate, cranberries, oats, and pumpkin! As I ran out to the grocery store late last night to get everything I needed, I decided to make a few minor tweaks in the original recipe and swapped out the typical semi-sweet chocolate chips for some dark chocolate ones- YUM! These cookies were super easy to make and took no time to bake in the oven, which is always a plus to any recipe. Not only did they come out delicious, but the autumn spices in them made my whole kitchen smell absolutely amazing! Check out my recipe below as well as some pictures I took from my baking experience this morning! Happy Monday everyone!
Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
(yields about 12-14 cookies)
1 large egg
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 and 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cups dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil (spray with non-sticking oil) and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, egg, and vanilla until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries.
- Fold together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined (will take a few minutes) – do not overmix. The cookie dough will be very thick.
- Taste the dough…for your own personal pleasure.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and slightly flatten to the shape you want your cookie in- they won’t expand much. Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet before storing them- or eat them immediately! (Cookies stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days in an airtight container).
All of the ingredients ready for prep!
Mixing up the wet ingredients
What the dough will look like- very thick!
Before going into the oven
Perfectly golden and ready to be taken out
The final product-YUMMY!